SHA goes to the Surrey Food Bank!
0Thursday, 22 March 2012 by Unknown
Hi there. Janice here. I’m just writing this as I’m on the
skytrain because it’s so important and I want to get everything down while it’s
fresh in my memory. So just an hour or
so ago, Troy, Al, Hao, and I went to visit the Surrey Food Bank for the first
time as "generals" of the SIFEHungerArmy.
In short, it was a huge eye opener.
For myself, it was the first time I had ever been to a food bank
actually.
As we walked into the building at around 12pm, there were a
bunch of volunteers in a row under a few tents.
In front of them were various types of food, like a huge box of green
beans. More on this later.
The afternoon started out with a tour led by Katrina Albert,
the events and fundraising assistant for the Surrey Food Bank. We got a tour of the warehouse, which was
actually bigger than I had imagined.
That isn’t to say that it has “more than enough in food”, but due to a
spike in donations during the holidays, Katrina mentioned that there would be
enough food to last until summer.
Something that Katrina emphasized as she led us through the
tour was that the clients of the food bank were normal people, just like
us. When she said that, I was a bit
taken aback but also a bit hesitant to believe that. Like I said, it being my first time at the food
bank, my understanding of a food bank was very shallow. She mentioned that a little group activity they did called "meeting the banks, which involved a role playing session, gave people
really good sense of how that was true – something we did later in the tour.
We went to a different part of the warehouse, where
volunteers sorted hampers – each different in size, depending on the client’s
family size. Something that I should
note here is that clients are allowed to collect food here a maximum of once every two weeks. New mothers, on the other hand, were allowed to come every
Wednesday to collect items such as formula, diapers, and cereal.
As the tour ended, I saw some clients who had just collected
food exit. They looked like any regular
people you’d see anywhere and I would’ve never expected them to go to the food
bank. Once we were back outside again, I
noticed a volunteer help an elderly woman fill a bag with the string
beans. Once again, I would’ve never
suspected that she went to the food bank either.
Back upstairs, we chatted with Marilyn Herrmann, the executive
director of SFB. She pointed to a map
of Surrey covered with little orange dots.
These dots represent all the households that are clients of SFB. Originally, this map was intended to give
them a sense of where they would want to relocate if they ever need to, but I
guess it’s a bit hard to choose with this realization. Troy,
who lives in Surrey, was shocked and noticed that there were dots in the area
he lived in as well.
Afterwards, we went to the boardroom where we did the “Meet
the Bank” roleplay activity. In the situation,
Al, who was a single mother of a 5 year old child (played by Hao), had $1520 in
monthly income at minimum wage. After deducting basic
necessities (not including food), such as tax, rent, utilities, telephone and more,
she had only $180 left for everything else. Wow. Being in finance and accounting, I’m a fairly
“numbers” sort of person – I admit sometimes I get a bit excited seeing numbers. But not that number. So Katrina was right, this is an issue for
normal people.
| Katrina, Al, Troy, and myself |
As I'm finishing up this post on the skytrain, I pull out her name card from my pocket to double check her email, and I notice the
back with the SFB slogan. “People Like You”.